Thursday, June 16, 2005

Sing me a song

I love music. I love the way a good song can move through me and take me outside of myself or deeper into me. The way a lyric can hit just the right cord in me making my whole body hum, or how a counter-melody ever so subtle can reflect a counterpoint in life around me. Music is my escape and freedom from the humdrum of daily living's built up residue. It changes my perspective, connects me to the world, and offers me grace in the times when I feel graceless. Music can tear down any of my walls and expose me vulnerable to the world, or at least etch away my impregnable shell of self hidden. I grew up listening to half made bands, playing for a beer at the American Legion. There was always a guitar and a song in my father's hand since the moment I could hold a memory. I sang next to him about sunshine on shoulders even before I started school. Albums were played daily in my household, and it wasn't until I was 10-years-old until I realized people did not have soundtracks that went with life.

Ah, music. So, this morning as I sit at work listening to another good find, twirling my thoughts in my mind like curly hair on a finger, I offer a list of musicians for others to listen to. Please add more.

Daisy Mae - Heart Song
Lesbians on ecstasy
Redbird Compilation
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Pastel Blues - Nina Simone
Lazy Sundays - I forgot the album name

This was not the post I had intended.

2 Comments:

Blogger Seafarer said...

What did you intend?

for me:
Motherless Chil' - Sweet Honey
Everest - Ani
All my Relations - Ulali
Yes it Was - Toshi
Real Love - Toshi
Raspberry Swirl - Tori
Turn Me On - Nina Simone
Do You Realize? - The Flaming Lips
When the World Ends - Dave Matthews
After All - Dar
One Thing Real - Dan Bern
lots of Melissa Ferrick

Thu Jun 16, 01:58:00 PM EDT  
Blogger GoGo said...

perhaps a day, i'll tell you, but not this day.

Thu Jun 16, 02:10:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home