Monday, June 20, 2005

Louie

I want to tell you about Louie. He was the uncle of my best friend in High School, Heather. I would go up to Grand Rapids with my best friend on weekends and stay with him. I told my family it was because Heather and I liked the movie theatres there, but it was because he was the first openly gay person I knew and I took comfort being around him. Louie was my emotional and spiritual guide back then. He taught me the right direction to g-d was listening to how you felt in your heart. He also taught me that sass and smart assness were prerequisites to an entertained life. Louie was a good man and if it was not for him, I do not believe I would traveled this journey to my own queerhood. I sometimes wonder if I would have been alive at all.

Louie died last week and my friend Heather just emailed me this morning. I guess he wanted no memorial or funeral, so I am left with a need to honor and remember him just the same. I choose to do it here. I always expected to see him again, and now that I cannot, I feel unprepared for the loss. I truelly miss Louie. I am so glad he shared his path with me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Seafarer said...

Glad you can honor him in this space. I'm thankful he was a guide for you. I like him for that.

Peace to "Louie".

Mon Jun 20, 09:49:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home