Monday, June 20, 2005

Testing in Library School

I'm off from work today to study for a midterm in my metadata class. This is quite a shock to my system. I'm 2/3 of the way through a Master's degree in Library and Information Science (after which I will be a full-fledged librarian) and I have yet to be tested on anything at all. I have yet to work my brain all that hard, in fact. Librarianship is not a matter of intellectual gymnastics by any means. But there is a lot to it - reference and cataloging and database administration and programming and reader advisory work and managament. All things you really do need to know if you're going to work in libraries. But the thing is, its not like calculus, where testing is the best method of determing whether you have mastered the materials, and our ordinary means of demonstrating understanding is via assignments, papers, and presentations. So, here I am, preparing for a sit-down-shut-up-and-prove-it-to-me eight page short answer, multiple choice and matching exam. God help me, I didn't bother to start the reading until this week and I have about half of it left to do today.

2 Comments:

Blogger GoGo said...

crunching the books, eh. Good luck with the testing! ~GoGo

Mon Jun 20, 09:17:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Seafarer said...

here's to standardization of knowledge! seems like librarians might like that. ;-)

good luck.

Mon Jun 20, 09:44:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home